Go Down

Author Topic: Breville's new dual boiler machine BES900  (Read 169967 times)

Brett H

• Global Moderator
  • Old Coffee Fella
Guys,

just to let you know that the Dual Boiler went into production yesterday & the first few have rolled off the line. Our engineer who's there for the duration of the production pulled some coffees off unit #00001 (with Aus beans, not Chinese...) & was very happy!

Cheers, Phil

Yep, I'll second Acg's request for photos. There are plenty of Aussie innovations that become category/genre/niche killers. This one may do that and then some. Exciting also to see how the Euro manufacturers react if it takes off.
Diadema Junior Extra PID, La Pavoni Professional, Compak K10 Conical, Compak A8 Automatica, Fiorenzato F5, Rancilio Rocky, Behmor 1600, BBQ Roaster (retired), KKTO

shape_shifter

• Java Veteran
  • Coffee is FRESH food !!!
Can I have unit number 7, please?  ;D

Can't wait to get one and start playing and experimenting, as the OH says though "please don't experiment with my coffees".
BES900, Presso, Hario TCA2, Aeropress, Spong No.1, Salter No.1, BCG800, Kyocera, Behmor, UCR (Modified Kambrook Popper)

blog: http://nic.steve-tek.com

mcknightp

• Junior Barista
ohh, exciting - dont suppose there's any chance of seeing some pics from the production facility - not nec the production line just some shots in general!

Here you go:

Double Ristretto

• Regular - No Chat Box
  • Senior Barista
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Hey Phil - thanks for these; have to say, it looks pretty sharp!

dR ;)

Koffee Kosmo

• Global Moderator
  • Old Coffee Fella
  • Espresso Yourself
    • koffeekosmo.com
I wish Breville all the best for this new flagship model
Australia needs to get back into manufacturing

KK
Bezzera Strega Lever: BNZ MD74 conical grinder
Pullman Barista Tamper Convex:  Designer of the KKTO Home Roaster: 6 Hand grinders:
Web site - www.koffeekosmo.com
Blog - http://koffeekosmo.blogspot.com

E61

• Junior Barista
  • Shuttle Control
    • The E61 Espresso Machinery Co Ltd
The E61 Espresso Machinery Co

Home of Shuttle Control!

kualitycoffee

• Instant Drinker
Hey guys isn't the end game going to be it's Australian price? CoffeeGeek has it as $1499AU and $1299US. Gee if the freight rates were not so bad i'd import.

Now here is where i see the glitch. The Sunbeam 6910 is the flag ship of the Sunbeam range in this area of the market.  Now I can get a deal from Sunbeam that gets me a grinder and a 6910 for around $600. Yup don't forget the grinder.

Now this quoted figure of $1499 is going to pitch them into another area of the market.  Why go for the the Breville?  Like all coffee machines suffering malneglect, essential cleaning that is, and the machine will fail. Just ask AM.

So all things considered, the new Breville 900 needs to be priced as close to the 6910 so as to encourage jumpers from Sunbeam to Breville.  

My choice right now is to stay with the 6910 but upgrade to the latest Breville grinder.

I think mine is ordered AM? Cannot wait to get my hands on it.

shape_shifter

• Java Veteran
Having used the EM6900 a little bit, I would pay the extra for the BDB any time.  I hate the thermoblock noise for a start and the whole machine is just clunky and honestly not very user friendly, I almost broke my parents on the weekend because I accidently pressed a button too quickly after steaming.

At no time when I used the BDB did I think I would break it and as much as it is more box than bling I don't get clunky from it like the EM6900.

You can't compare the two, and seriously if a person doesn't take their coffee seriously enough to research how to make the most of what they can then who gives a toss what they buy and how much they pay for it.

A classic statement from my BIL the other day, said in a smarmy voice "we have an automatic and when we have people over we can make a whole lot of coffees in the time it takes to make one from your parents machine".

You will never change a persons attitude that thinks like that, especially when they still buy flavoured beans and beans from the supermarket and both my sister and BIL say "it's just coffee".

Geez even my mother pulls a 150 ml shot (ha) from 20 grams of coffee and then has at least 150 ml of milk on top and it's scalding hot when she drinks it.  I made one my way and got her to drink it, she took one sip and said "eww yuck it's cold" now it wasn't cold but it wasn't boiling hot, I would have called it the temperature that a drink gets to after being scalding hot and you leave it there until you can drink it, except that the way I make it is that it is that temperature straight away.

Why on earth would you import something for an initial saving of $200 that will get eaten up by import taxes even if the shipping wasn't as bad as it is.  OHHHH and don't forget the machines aren't set up for our beans  ::)  ;D  What, what, I didn't say anything  ;D

I won't even be using the Smart Grinder with mine on a day to day basis, I'm using my Spongs.  Well that's the idea, if it turns out that the Spongs can't compete, which I will find out once I get my particle sorter, the the Smart Grinder might be used more but I doubt it  :)

It will be used for coffee for my OH to take to work to use on the old Breville we have here that he will take to work once the new BDB turns up.

Anyway I'm now waffling :)
BES900, Presso, Hario TCA2, Aeropress, Spong No.1, Salter No.1, BCG800, Kyocera, Behmor, UCR (Modified Kambrook Popper)

Muscles

• I don't need a custom title
  • Java Veteran
  • Life's sweet at 9 bar ;)
    • GQSmooth
Having used the EM6900 a little bit, I would pay the extra for the BDB any time.  I hate the thermoblock noise for a start and the whole machine is just clunky and honestly not very user friendly, I almost broke my parents on the weekend because I accidently pressed a button too quickly after steaming.

At no time when I used the BDB did I think I would break it and as much as it is more box than bling I don't get clunky from it like the EM6900.

You can't compare the two, and seriously if a person doesn't take their coffee seriously enough to research how to make the most of what they can then who gives a toss what they buy and how much they pay for it.

A classic statement from my BIL the other day, said in a smarmy voice "we have an automatic and when we have people over we can make a whole lot of coffees in the time it takes to make one from your parents machine".

You will never change a persons attitude that thinks like that, especially when they still buy flavoured beans and beans from the supermarket and both my sister and BIL say "it's just coffee".

Geez even my mother pulls a 150 ml shot (ha) from 20 grams of coffee and then has at least 150 ml of milk on top and it's scalding hot when she drinks it.  I made one my way and got her to drink it, she took one sip and said "eww yuck it's cold" now it wasn't cold but it wasn't boiling hot, I would have called it the temperature that a drink gets to after being scalding hot and you leave it there until you can drink it, except that the way I make it is that it is that temperature straight away.

Why on earth would you import something for an initial saving of $200 that will get eaten up by import taxes even if the shipping wasn't as bad as it is.  OHHHH and don't forget the machines aren't set up for our beans  ::)  ;D  What, what, I didn't say anything  ;D

I won't even be using the Smart Grinder with mine on a day to day basis, I'm using my Spongs.  Well that's the idea, if it turns out that the Spongs can't compete, which I will find out once I get my particle sorter, the the Smart Grinder might be used more but I doubt it  :)

It will be used for coffee for my OH to take to work to use on the old Breville we have here that he will take to work once the new BDB turns up.

Anyway I'm now waffling :)

Well Said!

I have a 6910 and have pre-ordered the BDB. - If it's half as good as what they reckon it will be I am going to be stoked...

US prices are quoted ex sales tax so add on average another 10%. That and the population account for price diff.
I can't believe people would waive their warranty for a $200 diff - even less after freight!? And, I can't believe that people think it should be worth less, what other machine will offer a feature list close this at less $$? None that I am aware of.

It's not meant o be an alternative to an EM6910 at the same price - it's meant to be in a class above that
Have you had a read of the "Getting to know" member interviews?
Click here: http://www.bestcafes.com.au/forum/member-interviews/
PM me if you would like to participate

Bean Flying

• Old Coffee Fella
  • Lever Nut
The USD to AUD thing is partially offset by margins but also by the 5% duty and then the 10% GST compounding to 15.5% of the difference so $200+ of the rise is easy to explain.

Quoting myself here plus there is no point importing a 110V version into this country with 240V. Not long to wait now for those with orders in  ;D

Koffee Kosmo

• Global Moderator
  • Old Coffee Fella
  • Espresso Yourself
    • koffeekosmo.com
Err You mean manufacturing here in Australia ?  (Doubt we will see that ever again in any big way).

Breville and many others do lots of work up here, but manufacturing etc is all done OS, including final assembly and testing...

BOT...

I think I said it in my first couple of posts on CS... 

I think this unit could be a major player - if the reliability is there (Made in China or where ever - does not matter)....   

I understand that they are made in China
I am assuming that the profits come back to Australia

KK
Bezzera Strega Lever: BNZ MD74 conical grinder
Pullman Barista Tamper Convex:  Designer of the KKTO Home Roaster: 6 Hand grinders:
Web site - www.koffeekosmo.com
Blog - http://koffeekosmo.blogspot.com

Springbok

• Junior Barista
  • Deja Brew - The feeling Ive had this coffee before
AM said "In-fact every morning is just another opportunity."

The best words of wisdom Ive heard for a long time.. have you seen the sunrises in Brisbane lately?

Im interested in getting the new Breville but will wait till Xmas and see if I can match it to a Grinder.

Good on ya AM.

Hottop B, Holey Popper, Dripolator, Lelit Pl 41 plus, Breville Smartgrinder BCG800, 6 x Stovetops, La Sorrentina Robbiati, Bodum Electric Syphon, Bellina Uno Syphon.

shape_shifter

• Java Veteran
What! you are not going to match it with the Smart Grinder, disgraceful  ;D

Seriously though we are getting the Smart Grinder, one because it comes free and two because OH is an electronics engineer and really likes it (I just have to try and prevent him from pulling it apart)  ;D  oh and because it's not as noisy as I thought it was going to be.

Double Ristretto

• Regular - No Chat Box
  • Senior Barista
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

I think what KuiltyMan and other are implying / meaning one thing, but not getting it across. And that is;

1: The units are made in China
2: The Australian $ is high
3: Shipping costs / Distances / Volumes ?

SO how come it is cheaper to buy if your in the US  than in Australia 7

I'm interested in the price difference thing also - shame David couldn't get to take up Admin's offer to provide a bit more info on that back in May?

Hi SS - was disappointed that I couldn't make it; thanks for the comprehensive update

...interesting one: don't know if this is fact; might be good to get a comment on that from David?

A

dR :-\

admin

• Crema Forum Administrator
  • Old Coffee Fella
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold - SP1!
to be fair, David's a pretty busy guy - maybe Phil will be able to give us some insights?

A

shape_shifter

• Java Veteran
Dave is so flat out he posts comments on the wrong Facebook accounts  ;D ;D ;D

Sorry if no one gets what I mean, it was a 'had to see it' moment on the Breville Food Thinkers Facebook page :)

Rider

• Barista

And to be fair, I'd like to know what this means... ???

It is a twin thermoblock...what you are stating is impossible.

shape_shifter

• Java Veteran
I had done my steaming and then I went to press the coffee button to purge water through and it made a horrible knocking, thumping noise and water/steam started coming out of the steam wand, honestly I have no idea, maybe I pressed the wrong button.

Definitely sounded like a horrible breaking noise to me although my sister did say that it had done it before so maybe I hadn't done anything wrong.

Rider

• Barista
The steam wand and steam thermoblock is operated by the knob on the left.

The espresso and hot water thermoblock is operated by the buttons (espresso) and knob on the right (hot water).

It is hardly probable that one could break the other.

With all due respect I think we are all curious to see the potential of the Breville Dual Boiler (and we know you have one on order) but the EM6910 deserves a little more kudos than that.

Rider

• Barista
Well put AM

My point was specifically what was alleged does not happen.

Judging a non existent machine by non existent faults on another machine does not belong here. Been there done that.

Play the ball - not only the person, the machine also.

Rider - temporarily donning AM's cap  ;D

shape_shifter

• Java Veteran
I wasn't doing anything like that in the slightest but geez take what I said however you want.

Just as an FYI on the EM6900 you have to press the steam button before you can turn the knob to make the steam work.

The EM6900 is not an EM6910.

I think I'll back away from anything Breville from now on until it's out and in my kitchen, I've made my decision and I don't need people telling me that my opinions aren't worth squat due to what they deem 'user' problems on a different machine.

Rider

• Barista

Please follow up on the EM6900 as I have NEVER  seen one that had a steam button...

AM

Wot he said...

Rider

• Barista

If you have something else that is Marked as an EM6900, I would be very interested to know... But thinking an EM5900 or some other, but not an EM6900...
AM

Again, Wot he said...

Shapeshifter, you may be comparing the wrong machine...

In which case you're jumping more pegs which is cool.

Unfortunately as a downside you are lambasting a machine which gets a very undeserved rap and for very wrong reasons (EM5900 is single thermoblock).

That's okay. I have had a 5900 owner walk into my house and look at my 6910 and say "Yeah, I have the same machine..."

I think Sunbeam have unduly suffered from this plight...

shape_shifter

• Java Veteran
Sorry guys I really shouldn't post at midnight, especially after a day in Sydney, I hate Sydney like nothing else.

I swear that is what I was told it was, I got my sister to read off the back model number so I could make sure that I was looking at the right unpressurised baskets for my parents to buy.

shit I don't know, never get anyone else to do something for you, the day I had at my parents I wouldn't be surprised that that happened.

I'll go and actually have a look at the Sunbeam website now and figure out which one it is.

Now back to Breville comments and discussions I hope :)

mcknightp

• Junior Barista
to be fair, David's a pretty busy guy - maybe Phil will be able to give us some insights?

A

Guys,

Acknowledged you need to add State based Sales Tax, labour rates in the US are substantially lower than here, ie a counter jumper working in the Gap earns about $12/hr, we have compulsory Workers Comp Insurance ~3-4%, compulsory Superannuation 9%, restrictive hiring/firing legislation. In other words the cost of doing business here is much higher than in the US.

Cheers, Phil

Go Up